25 Things About Me (You May Not Know)
One of my closest friends once tagged me in a note on Facebook revealing some of the shocking secrets. The idea was to write some equal number of random things about myself, tag all the other people I wanted, to read these 25 things about me. And so it finally comes to a shape today! (In this Facebook-age, the better-suited title would have been "25 Things On My Mind".)
Here’s my story (barely random and significantly long - I spent more than an hour to list them all):
- I love reading. I read absolutely anything that comes handy. Of all, my favorite book is “Indian Muslims – Where Have They Gone Wrong?” by Dr. Rafiq Zakaria. With that in place, I feel my vocabulary is limited to a very small set of words.
- I have full faith in the Indian government, their initiatives, and efforts. I know the future is even brighter.
- I some times feel people (/Indians) not living in India should not be allowed to crib about issues in India. (If you can’t see the brighter side, be equally blind to the darker one.)
- I wish India and Pakistan were never separated. I would’ve loved supporting a cricket team with opening batsmen like Sachin Tendulkar and opening bowlers like Wasim Akram. (And Sania Mirza could marry Shoaib Malik with peace - without making any political news. Shashi Tharoor could also mind his own business.)
- I hope Indians do equally great in other sports (than Cricket) in the future; in Hockey to start with. We are better than China in many ways. Why not in the Olympics then?
- I love Banana milkshake. Any day, any time.
- The cook at my parents’ place is just great. But I especially go home, just that I can wake up to the tea my Mom prepares.
- Believe it or not, I’m quite shy. And I don’t lie, as far as possible. With the spread of worldwide web and people’s momentous presence online (Facebook, Twitter, FourSquare, etc), I feel it's practically impossible to lie about anything. Nobody but Rajinikanth can hide from Google's Search Engine spiders.
- My family is my life and my friends are my life-support. No wonder I’ve survived not-so-pleasant phases of my life quite effortlessly.
- I’m quite selfish (and self-centered?) compared to my friends. I guess my friends know that too. They still love me!
- I owe my financial and social independence to my teachers (trainers) and my employer. (My parents are my teachers. My sister is like my mother.)
- I’m not a foodie. I can barely differentiate tastes. I’m just not into junk-food and given a choice, I can live with all-boiled, no-spice food (saatvik aahar) for the rest of my life.
- Something’s wrong with the way I talk. Somehow, on first, most people feel I’m arrogant or have an attitude problem.
- My likes in a profession are pretty unrealistic. It's a mix of some random things I’m good at, including updating HTML pages.
- I love writing with fountain pens. (It’s one of many other things I try and copy from my Father.)
- I am not superstitious. But there’s certainly some magic in the shooting stars.
- I like to believe I have an OCD for hygiene – especially that in toilets, kitchen and the dining area. I guess I also have acrophobia. I most certainly have acarophobia.
- I prefer Facebook over Orkut, Tea over Coffee, Pune over Bombay/Bangalore/Surat.., Windows over Linux, Red Wine over White, Test-match over ODI/T20, Vada-pav over Burger, Scotch over Vodka/Rum/Beer, Animated over SciFi/Action flicks, House over Hip-hop music and Sambuca over Tequila.
- I believe in Karma and the ‘Karmic Law’.
- I hate cooking. I hate it more when people expect me to cook. (I'm aware 'hate' is a strong word and must be used for the highest degree of disgust.)
- It surprises me that some people are still stuck to hard cash, and worse, they believe that plastic money/cheques are bad.
- Internet (on the Mobile phone) is the best invention ever. Swimming is the best exercise ever.
- I do play Tabla and Harmonium. I’m formally trained in Indian Classical Music (vocal) and my personal favorites are Raag Kaafi and Bhairavi. I’ve turned to western music now. Starting with Saxophone.
- I sincerely feel people should wear helmet/seatbelt without any exceptions. We’ve lost some precious lives in the past due to this ignorance, and I hope everyone understands that their life is much more important than they think.
- I can’t compromise with my ‘space’. I get quite upset (and annoyed) if the entropy of my house changes. I love my freedom at my new ‘home’. But I do feel quite lonely on times.
- In my free time, I like making random changes to my website. I’ll always be obliged to Pritesh (and Dharmesh-Bhai) for this great gift!
- I always over-do things, like I couldn’t limit it to ‘25’ (or '15' in Quick 15 Books)
I’m a narcissist (you can count the number of I's above). I feel I possess a perfect human life, with no regrets for the mistakes in the past. I’m blessed, in many ways.
But I want more.